Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Sultan Qaboos of Oman


Camels in Salalah, Sultanate of Oman

I was so saddened to hear of the death of the Sultan, which was expected but came to his people as a bit of a shock.
Tales are told that the Sultan yearly did a “meet the people” tour and people would present their petitions to the ministers. The ministers some of whom were fairly overweight and had to run up the sand dunes and come back and listen to their problems. Everyone had the chance to speak.
We were living in Oman for 6 years and those years were a highlight of our lives and I would like to thank the Sultan for the opportunity it gave us. I was teaching while I was there, and got the school I was with to start an Arabic class after school once a week, as I thought that was such a
an opportunity to learn the language!
It is such a difficult language I am still learning! The fireworks in Oman were amazing and I believe that is due to the Sultan. May he rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment